Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Female Rapper Showdown: Nicki vs. Keys

Okay so first watch the video.. otherwise you won't understand where I'm coming from.


So I've really been thinking about this a lot lately.. As soon as I heard Nicki Minaj's part in Bedrock this fall I was immediately interested in her because she had a unique voice and daring lyrics. I like different, and she really caught my attention. I became a pretty big fan.. checked out all of her songs and was pretty impressed by her. But then.. a few weeks ago I was hitting up YouTube and I saw this video about some rapper named Keys doing a Nicki Minaj diss. Of course, I listened to it immediately and something weird happened. My loyalty kinda shifted just in hearing Keys' one rap. She brought up a lot of good points about how Nicki Minaj is all about being fake and being a Barbie or whatever.

Now I really can't decide.. Half of me feels like Nicki is really talented.. but then again, a lot of the core essence of Nicki Minaj is just a bunch of gimmicks. Maybe Lil Wayne did just think she was hot and put her on his record.. Maybe he writes her raps. Or maybe she's all real and genuinely talented and Keys is just jealous. I'm not sure what to think. When Keys said "you'll get killed around these parts like that" she kind of lost credibility with me though. Being a rapper isn't all about being "hood." It doesn't matter where you came from.. anyone who can flow deserves respect. So I don't know, both girls have things I like and don't like. I just know things are a lot more interesting now that Nicki actually has some legit competition. Hopefully she delivers.. otherwise she'll get conquered. We'll see! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment